Aging is the process of becoming older, a process that is genetically determined and environmentally modulated. Understanding your aging face is most important.
Aging of the face can start as early as 20 years old and continues throughout your life. How fast your face ages and to what extent differs from person to person. These things typically happen as you age.
- Soft tissues (muscles, fat, connective tissue) fall due to gravity
- Volume loss
- Skin changes and wrinkles
- Facial bone changes
Aging is unique to each individual. Genetics play an important role in the way your face ages. How your mother ages can provide a glimpse of how your face may change after time.
Other factors, like your exposure to the sun over time and your diet, can play a role in determining when and to what extreme aging begins
The skin aging process is influenced by both intrinsic and extrinsic factors. While degradation of collagen and elastin fibers, as well as the reduced quality of the body’s own hyaluronic acid, are mainly genetically encoded, there are extrinsic or lifestyle factors which we all can control to a certain degree to reduce skin aging.
Smoking and drinking, excessive sun exposure and stress, can all speed up the biological clock. However, of all these aging factors sun damage by UVR poses the greatest threat.
Restylane products cannot turn back the passage of time. However, they can restore skin hydro balance and improve the skin structure and elasticity, as well as fill out wrinkles and folds and restore facial volume.
“When you’re younger, facial features are defined and well contoured. We call this the triangle of youth,” says Janelle Klubertanz, a certified plastic surgery nurse with Plastic Surgery & Skin Specialists by BayCare Clinic. “As you get older, the triangle becomes inverted.”
Aging isn’t just about the lines and wrinkles on your face. It also occurs beneath the skin. Signs of aging exist at every layer of the facial structure, including skin, fat pads, muscles, and bone.
Facial aging is due to changes in several types of tissue, including skin, fat, muscle, and bone. Changes in any one of these structural layers affect the other layers.
Types of lines or wrinkles on face
Wrinkles are lines that form in the skin. … The most common dynamic wrinkles are across the forehead, at the outer corners of your eyes (crow’s feet) and between the eyebrows. Static wrinkles are caused by gravity, the loss of fat and collagen, and the loss of the skin’s elasticity.
Forehead wrinkles are called “worry lines” or Stress lines, for a reason! When we make the same facial expression repeatedly, temporary lines are produced on our faces. We all know that stress causes us to frown quite a bit, which causes temporary forehead lines.
Smile lines or Laugh lines or Cheek lines are wrinkles or creases in the skin of a person’s face that appear around the outer corners of the mouth and eyes. … Laugh lines are most commonly caused by the repetition of facial movements, including frowning, smiling, laughing, and any other facial expression.
Nose lines wrinkles
Nasolabial folds are the indentation lines on either side of the mouth that extends from the edge of the nose to the mouth’s outer corners. They become more prominent when people smile. … Some people develop wrinkles next to the nasolabial folds, which may be more visible during smiling.
Sleep lines or wrinkles have nothing to do with muscle contraction or expression and are caused by the repeated scrunching, shifting and compression of our face into our pillow while we sleep. These lines tend to by more vertical then expression lines and can be found on forehead, cheeks, chin, etc
Facial blushing or flushing causes small blood vessels to expand and eventually to show through the skin. These enlarged blood vessels appear as thin red lines (telangiectasias) on the face, especially on the cheeks.
As skin ages, the middle layer of skin (dermis) thins due to collagen loss. The skin’s ability to retain elasticity (from elastin) and moisture (from hyaluronic acid) also reduces with age. Due to this loss of elastin and hyaluronic acid, the skin becomes
- less elastic
- less supple
In the face, fat is organized into fat pads. As we age, the fat is lost or redistributed, and the fat pads shift relative to each other. Over time, bony features, lines, and wrinkles become more visible.
There is a significant loss of facial bone with age. Aging of the craniofacial skeleton may be due to changes in the relative dynamics of bone expansion and bone resorption.
Bone recession leads to thinner bone, removing structural support for the overlying tissues. This loss of support contributes to sagging and droopiness and noticeable changes in the other layers of overlying soft tissue and skin.
11 WAYS TO REDUCE PREMATURE SKIN AGING
Many things cause our skin to age. Some things we cannot do anything about; others we can influence
One thing that we cannot change is the natural aging process. It plays a key role. With time, we all get visible lines on our face. It is natural for our face to lose some of its youthful fullness. We notice our skin becoming thinner and drier. Our genes largely control when these changes occur. The medical term for this type of aging is “intrinsic aging.”
We can influence another type of aging that affects our skin. Our environment and lifestyle choices can cause our skin to age prematurely. The medical term for this type of aging is “extrinsic aging.” By taking some preventive actions, we can slow the effects that this type of aging has on our skin.
Protect your skin from the sun every day
Whether spending a day at the beach or running errands, sun protection is essential. You can protect your skin by seeking shade, covering up with clothing, and using sunscreen that is broad-spectrum, SPF 30 (or higher), and water-resistant. You should apply sunscreen every day to all skin that is not covered by clothing.
Apply self-tanner rather than get a tan
The sun plays a major role in prematurely aging our skin. Other things that we do also can age our skin more quickly than it naturally would. To help their patients prevent premature skin aging, dermatologists offer their patients the following tips.
If you smoke, stop
Smoking greatly speeds up how quickly skin ages. It causes wrinkles and a dull, sallow complexion.
Avoid repetitive facial expressions
When you make a facial expression, you contract the underlying muscles. If you repeatedly contract the same muscles for many years, these lines become permanent. Wearing sunglasses can help reduce lines caused by squinting.
Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet
Findings from a few studies suggest that eating plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables may help prevent damage that leads to premature skin aging. Findings from research studies also suggest that a diet containing lots of sugar or other refined carbohydrates can accelerate aging.
Drink less alcohol
Alcohol is rough on the skin. It dehydrates the skin, and in time, damages the skin. This can make us look older.
Exercise most days of the week
Findings from a few studies suggest that moderate exercise can improve circulation and boost the immune system. This, in turn, may give the skin a more youthful appearance.
Cleanse your skin gently
Scrubbing your skin clean can irritate your skin. Irritating your skin accelerates skin aging. Gentle washing helps to remove pollution, makeup, and other substances without irritating your skin.
Wash your face twice a day and after Sweating heavily
Perspiration, especially when wearing a hat or helmet, irritates the skin, so you want to wash your skin as soon as possible after sweating.
Apply a facial moisturizer every day
Moisturizer traps water in our skin, giving it a more youthful appearance.
Stop using skincare products that sting or burn
When your skin burns or stings, it means your skin is irritated. Irritating your skin can make it look older
Never too late to benefit
Even people who already have signs of premature skin aging can benefit from making lifestyle changes. By protecting your skin from the sun, you give it a chance to repair some of the damage. Smokers who stop often notice that their skin looks healthier.
If signs of aging skin bother you, you may want to see a dermatologist. New treatments and less-invasive procedures for smoothing wrinkles, tightening skin, and improving one’s complexion are giving many people younger-looking skin.
HOW TO SELECT ANTI-AGING SKINCARE PRODUCTS
Shopping for an anti-aging skin care product can feel like a hit-or-miss experience. With so many choices, it can be difficult to know which products to choose. These dermatologist tips can help you shop with confidence
Start with sunscreen and moisturizer
Dermatologists agree that sunscreen and moisturizer are the two most-effective anti-aging products you can buy. Using these every day can make a noticeable difference.
When shopping for sunscreen, select one that offers all of the following
- SPF 30 (or higher)
- Water resistance
An anti-aging moisturizer helps to minimize fine lines. It is so effective that moisturizer is the secret ingredient in many anti-aging products.
Using a moisturizer with sunscreen is fine. Just be sure that the product offers broad-spectrum coverage and an SPF of 30 or higher.
If you will spend time outdoors during the day, you should apply a sunscreen that offers broad-spectrum protection, SPF 30 (or higher), and water resistance. Be sure to reapply your sunscreen every two hours while outdoors.
Treat your #1 aging-skin concern
Give sunscreen and moisturizer a few weeks to work. Then look at your skin. Is there still a sign of aging that bothers you?
By focusing on one concern, such as wrinkles or dark spots, you’ll get the best results. Look for a product that targets your concern. There are two reasons for this:
- No product can treat all signs of skin aging
- Using more than one anti-aging product in a few days or weeks can irritate the skin, making you look older.
Buy a product formulated for your skin type
Your sunscreen, moisturizer, and other anti-aging skincare products will work best if they are formulated for your skin type. For example, if your skin tends to be oily, select a moisturizer made for oily skin. If you have sensitive skin, you want to see the words “sensitive skin” on the label. This is important because no one product works for everyone.
Read product labels and select a product that offers all of the following
- Hypoallergenic (The product can still cause an allergic reaction, but there is less risk)
- Non-comedogenic or non-acnegenic (does not cause acne)
- Consumer hotline (to contact for questions)
Have realistic expectations
Exaggerated promises, such as look 10 years younger overnight or quickly reduces all signs of aging, are too good to be true. It’s important to remember that anti-aging skincare products deliver modest results. You cannot get the results of a facelift from a cream.
HOW TO MAXIMIZE RESULTS FROM ANTI-AGING SKINCARE PRODUCTS
Dermatologists reveal what works best
How you use your anti-aging skincare products affects your results.
To help patients get the best results from these products, dermatologists offer these tips.
Start with one product
Using several anti-aging products at the same time can irritate your skin. When you irritate your skin, signs of aging become more noticeable.
Test the product before applying it to your face or hands
Even hypoallergenic products can cause a skin reaction. To test a product, apply a small amount to your inner forearm. Repeat this twice a day for four to five days. If your skin looks normal — free of redness, itch, and other reactions — you can apply it to your face and other skin.
Stop using a product that stings, burns, or tingles
These sensations mean that the product irritates your skin. Irritated skin looks older. If you are using a product prescribed by your dermatologist, ask if this should be happening before you stop using it. Some prescription-strength products will burn or sting.
Some products contain active ingredients that can cause problems if you apply more than directed. You could end up with clogged pores, blotchy skin, or excessively dry skin. Read the instructions, and use as directed
Give the product time to work
A moisturizer can plump up fine lines in a few days, but most products take at least six weeks to work. Sometimes it can take up to three months. Be patient and give the product time to work.
Continue using, if you want to continue seeing results
People often stop using a product once they see results.
Protect your skin from the sun
Sun protection helps to reduce signs of premature aging on your skin. It also allows your skin to repair and renew itself and reduces your risk of getting skin cancer
Moisturizer traps water in your skin. This extra moisture can help reduce the appearance of fine lines and brighten your complexion
Forget about tanning
Tanning speeds up signs of aging on your skin. Tanning can lead to premature wrinkles, age spots, and other unwanted signs of aging.
Avoid the temptation to improve results with a do-it-yourself cosmetic procedure. If you shop online, you may see lasers and other products that treat signs of aging for sale. These products are often counterfeit or imported illegally. Using these products can be extremely dangerous to your health.
Anti Aging Products
Anti-Aging Skincare Kit for Men + Women by Craig Connors Skincare | 4 Products – Facial CLEANSER, EYE Serum, DAY Moisturizer, NIGHT Renewal Oil | 100% Natural, Plant-Based, Toxin-Free | 5 Week Supply
- What It Is: Craig Connors Skincare has simplified skincare for men & women of all skin types with their 100% natural, plant-based, complete skincare system. 4 Products – Facial CLEANSER, EYE Serum, DAY Moisturizer, NIGHT Renewal – 4 easy steps to great skin!
- How Does It Smell & Feel: All of our products, excluding EYE serum which is fragrance-free, are naturally scented with pure Neroli + citrus essential oils that fill your senses with a sweet, honeyed + uplifting orange essence with green, spicy facets that also improve the overall condition of skin. All of our products are lightweight + formulated for quick absorption.
- What To Expect: Softer, brighter, more radiant skin. Our anti-aging skincare system will help to reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, puffiness + undereye bags while repairing + restoring the skin’s microbiome (vital protective barrier) for improved skin tone + texture resulting in clean, radiant + glowing skin. Guaranteed softer, smoother + more youthful appearance.
- Key Ingredients: Each product is formulated with specific nutrients to target specific needs. All of our ingredients are 100% natural and include clinically researched ingredients, plant stem cells, botanicals, probiotics, herbal extracts, pure essential oils, vitamin C & E, hyaluronic acid and so much more.
- Improves Skin appearance.
- Protect skin from sun damage.
- Visibly reduces signs of aging caused by the Sun.
- Reduce redness caused by Rosacea.
- Exposure to the sun is the number 2 cause of premature aging. This powerful antioxidant serum utilizes the power of OPCs (oligomeric proanthocyanidins) to help protect skin from UV damage while repairing past sun damage. It is also designed to reduce redness caused by Rosacea or acne. This product contains hyaluronic acid for oil-free hydration that plumps dehydrated skin.
- 20x more effective than Vitamin C and 50x more effective than Vitamin E as a free radical scavenger
- Contains hyaluronic acid, which can attract 1000x its own weight in moisture
- Improves skin appearance and protects it from sun damage
SkinEscens Rejuvenating Facial Powder – Cleanser, Exfoliator, and Mask – Microdermabrasion Scrub – Anti-Aging – Smooths and Polishes Skin – Evens Skin Tone
- RENEW AND POLISH YOUR SKIN – This triple-action product is a cleanser, exfoliator, and facemask all in one. It combines the best of science & nature to exfoliate, refine, rejuvenate & superbly clean your skin. Did we mention it is also great at tackling pigmentation and uneven skin tone?
- REDUCES SIGNS OF AGING – Rich in Antioxidants, Vitamins, and Flavonoids to help rejuvenate and protect your skin. Our Facial Powder will leave your skin feeling refreshed, radiant, thoroughly cleansed & glowing with all the signs of youth.
- SKINCARE MADE EASY – Are you tired of finding the right product for your skin? We believe skincare shouldn’t be complicated so we have designed our products with this in mind. Give your skin everything it needs and more, regardless of skin type or tone.
- AMAZING INGREDIENTS, CRUELTY-FREE – Our powder has an amazing blend of ingredients including green tea and ginger extracts, alpha hydroxy acids (AHA) & vitamin B. We promise our products are Alcohol-Free, Paraben-Free, Isothiazolinone-Free, and Mineral Oil-Free.
Anti Aging Retinol Moisturizer Cream: for Face, Neck & Décolleté with 2.5% Retinol and Hyaluronic Acid. The Best Night Anti Wrinkle Cream for Men and Women – Results in 5 Weeks
- 💦 DEEPER HYDRATATION FOR 72 HOURS GUARANTEED 💦 with the best anti-aging face cream for women and men. Only this anti-aging cream with Retinol guarantees collagen and elastin production to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, crow’s feet, circles & fine lines. Your skin’s capacity to retain moisture will be amazingly enhanced using this facial moisturizer.
- ⛲ RESTORE THE ESSENCE OF YOUTH NOW with only the best face moisturizer that visibly smoothes fine lines and wrinkles for a more radiant, firmer and younger-looking skin. This face lotion for women is formulated with 5 proven Bio-Active ingredients: 2.5% Retinol, Hyaluronic Acid, Vitamin E, Green Tea & Jojoba Oil. RESULTS GUARANTEED
- 🌳 USE ONLY NATURAL & ORGANIC INGREDIENTS 🌳 on your skin – The organic active ingredients inside this Retinol firming cream work in synergy with your skin, as our night cream anti-aging is Parabens FREE. Enhance your skin with only the best face lotion for women manufactured in USA in an FDA-approved facility and endorsed by PETA as being Cruelty-Free
- 🎯 INCREASE YOUR SKIN FIRMNESS AND ELASTICITY Today with this anti-wrinkle Retinol cream through the multi-action of powerful anti-aging vitamins that smoothen and even skin texture for a healthy radiant complexion. This anti-aging face cream doesn’t clog pores nor it makes your skin feel oily or sticky.
Brickell Men’s Anti Aging Reviving Day Serum for Men, Natural and Organic Formulated with Hyaluronic Acid, Protein Peptides to Restore Firmness and Stimulate Collagen, 1 Ounce, Scented
- What It Does: This anti-aging face serum for men boosts skin elasticity, restores firmness, and stimulates collagen production.
- Who It’s For: Men of any age with any skin type should use this anti-aging serum for men.
- How It Works: Our men’s face serum uses an exclusive combination of powerful, natural ingredients. It penetrates quickly into the skin to firm, restore and revive collagen production.
- Key Ingredients: All Natural & Certified Organic ingredients, including protein peptides, hyaluronic acid, and concentrated aloe.
- Brickell creates skincare and grooming products for men using natural & certified organic ingredients. Our products are sold in over 20 countries and have appeared in GQ, Men’s Health, Men’s Journal, and other popular men’s magazines.
- MORNING & NIGHT EYE GEL: This eye gel helps reduce the appearance of puffiness, dark circles, under-eye bags & wrinkles! No more heavy creams, this lightweight gel is the perfect product to awaken your eyes!
- HYDRATE & FIRM: Features Peptide Complex to help skin produce collagen, Matrixyl 3000 for smooth fine lines & wrinkles; Vitamin E for moisture & elasticity, plus Jojoba Oil & an Amino Acid Blend for smooth hydration!
- BAEBODY BEAUTY INNOVATION: Across our line of hair & skin care products, we aim to help you look & feel fabulous with innovative natural ingredients like hyaluronic acid, retinol, argan oil, activated charcoal & tea tree oil.
- YOUR HEALTH COMES FIRST TO US: Because your hair, skin & body health comes Before Anyone Else, our natural, safe & effective beauty products are cruelty-free, paraben-free & safe for most skin types.
- It is both lightweight and effective. The Peptide Complex in our Eye Gel helps your skin produce collagen; Matrixyl 3000 helps smooth fine lines & wrinkles; Amino Acid Blend helps to hydrate the eye area; & Vitamin E helps to improves elasticity.
- For best results, use Baebody Eye Gel morning and night as part of your daily skincare regimen. Dab a pea-sized amount underneath and above each eye.
NxN Total Moisture 4-Step Anti-Aging Treatment & Dry Skin Facial System, Skin Care Kit with Moisturizer, Gentle Cleanser, Powder Exfoliator, Evening Face Mask – Hydrate Skin & Reduce Wrinkles
- GET SOFT, NOURISHED SKIN: The Total Moisture System naturally hydrates skin, relieves dryness, and fights signs of aging. This anti-aging skincare set is made with key natural ingredients like squalane and marine algae to help combat free radicals and encourage collagen synthesis to diminish the appearance of age spots, fine lines, and wrinkles while keeping skin supple and radiant.
- NOURISHING CLEANSER: Gentle, Gel To Milk Cleanser with coconut, coffee, green tea & multi-fruit extracts hydrates and nourishes skin while melting away makeup and impurities. The exclusive formula utilizes plant-derived emulsifiers, combined with the hydrating power of coconut and grapeseed oil’s high concentration of omega 6 fatty acids to restore moisture levels and gently remove stubborn waterproof makeup.
- POWDER TO FOAM EXFOLIATOR: Exfoliator with activated bamboo charcoal, grape seed, oat proteins & blueberry extracts. Draws out impurities and toxins while gently buffing skin to reveal a smoother, softer and more radiant-looking complexion.
- DAILY WEIGHTLESS MOISTURIZER: Zero Gravity Whipped Day Cream with squalane, marine algae, seagrape, sea buckthorn & raspberry seed. This patent-pending whipped technology moisturizes dry and combination skin without leaving behind a greasy residue.
- HYDRATING EVENING MASK: Wake up to better skin. A thin, wearable mask that locks in intense moisture while you sleep. Finally, a dry skin treatment without the grease. Reduces the appearance of dark spots and combats the visible signs of aging with the power of Marine Algae, Seagrape, Licorice Root and Chia Seed Extracts.
- Specifically formulated for men on the go. 3-Step Daily Skincare Kit Includes: HF Daily Face Wash, Herbal Spray Toner & Face Moisturizer.
- Key Ingredients: Tea Tree Leaf, Lavender, Shea Butter, Witch Hazel Extracts, Sodium Hyaluronate.
- RETURN TO NATURE: HF products are made with premium plant-based extracts. We care about what goes inside your body and believe the solution to healthy skin is all around us in nature.
- Cruelty-Free & MADE WITHOUT Parabens, Sulfates, Synthetic fragrances or Colorants.
- Gift him this holiday season with HF Daily Trio 3-Step Skincare Kit for Men. Alcohol-free, vegan, and made with natural ingredients for healthy skin & better shaving experience. For all skin types.
- Alcohol-Free, No SLS.
- Natural, Vegan & Cruelty-Free.
- Developed in smaller batches for quality & freshness.
eDiva Natural Jade Roller– Gua Sha – Lymphatic Drainage Tool for Face, Neck, Body – Anti Aging Treatment – Reduces Wrinkles and Fine Lines
- JADE ROLLER BENEFITS: Reduce dark circles and puffiness under eyes, Improve skin and health through natural anti-aging Jade stones without any chemicals or irritants.
- EASY TO USE: Connecting the handling beauty machine with the electrodes, open and rotating the button to adjust the intensity; turning up the intensity by clockwise rotation, decreasing the intensity by counterclockwise.
- RELAX: Jade Rolling restores your complexion and revitalizing your natural shine while transforming it into a clean canvas that is free of acne. Immediately remove muscle tension as the roller smooths fine lines and eliminates wrinkles and gives your skin a healthy glow.
- REAL NATURAL JADE: 100% real genuine jade rolling stone with ultra smooth rolling action for best results
- ORIGINAL: This is the only original best jade roller in the market, so make the right choice now.
Dermashine Pro 7 Color LED Mask for Face | Photon Red Light For Healthy Skin Rejuvenation Therapy | Collagen, Anti Aging, Wrinkles, Scarring | Korean Skin Care, Facial Skin Care Mask, LED Face Mask
- SPA QUALITY SKIN TREATMENT AT HOME: This is your one-stop, solution to all your skincare needs. Inspired by Korean Beauty, Dermashine’s light therapy mask provides you 7 different light colors to treat a myriad of skin problems. Our UV Free non-heat producing LEDs penetrate your facial tissue to boost collagen, clear and tighten your skin, reduce lines and wrinkles, improve skin color, and much more.
- SAFE, NATURAL, COMFORTABLE, AND SIMPLE TO USE: Our light face mask uses the latest in light technology and quality materials making it safe, comfortable, natural, and reusable. Your skin absorbs the light energy, which then treats your skin depending on the color that is used.
- NEWEST LED LIGHT TECHNOLOGY: 150 LED lights upgraded to emit the most optimal wavelengths with 5 levels of intensity. Red Light- Increased Blood Flow and Collagen Production | Blue Light- Calms and Tightens Skin | Green Light- Improve Pigmentation, Fine Lines, and Anti-Aging | Yellow Light- Smoothes Skin and Reduces Redness | Purple Light- Relaxing, Improves Skin | Light Blue Light- Soothing | NEW White Light- Improves Skin Color
- PACKAGE CONTENTS: Comes with 1 Dermashine 7 Color LED Light Mask, 1 Eye Protection Mask, 1 USB Power Cable, Easy to Use Controller to switch between Color, Intensity, Built-in Timer, Elastic Adjustable Strap to keep Mask Fixated