There are certain makeup products that are used to enhance the appearance of the eye and to emphasize the beauty of the eye.
What is eyeliner?
Eyeliners are products that apply color to the area around the eyes to accent and highlight the appearance of the eyes.
What is eyeliner made of?
Eyeliner contains special ingredients that apply color where it is needed in a precise and controlled manner. The products are specially formulated to ensure that potentially harmful microorganisms cannot grow and multiply. The safety of Eyeliners is established by selection of ingredients that are safe and suitable for this purpose. In addition, Eyeliners are assessed for their potential to cause skin irritation or cause allergic reactions. Product safety is also established though strict adherence to the principles of Quality Assurance and Good Manufacturing Practices. This includes testing the compatibility of the product with packaging as well as shelf-life stability. The FDA has issued an alert for Eye Makeup products such as kohl, kajal, al-Kahl, or Surma, typically applied as Eyeliner.
- Film former’s. The film former deposits a thin layer to the skin to help the makeup stick.
- Pigments. Pigments are the ingredients that give the eyeliner its color. Common colors are brown, black, and blue, although other colors are available.
- Thickeners. The thickeners are often made from waxes or clay. These add substance to the eyeliner so that it adheres to the skin.
- Some even contain metallic flakes for a shinier look.
What does eyeliner do?
Eyeliners are used to emphasize the eyelids and/or to change the perceived shape of the eyes.
Different types of eyeliner
There are different types or formulas of eyeliner
This is the most commonly used eyeliner. It’s typically easier to use than liquid because it’s more forgiving when you make a mistake. Use on the upper lid and inner waterline and if you want a smoky eye.
When pigment is applied through a saturated felt or sponge tip, it tends to result in a more intense, rich color. liquid eyeliner is. Versatile, long-lasting, and easy to use, liquid eyeliner with a felt tip may very well be the newest addition to your makeup bag if it isn’t already one of your essentials.
For nights when you’re going on a hot date, or feel in the mood to try something a little more advanced, break out a pot of jet-black gel eyeliner. The gel is also ideal for experimenting with colors. This formula usually comes in a small pot, and you need a special brush to apply it.
Best drug store eyeliner
L’Oreal Paris Makeup Infallible Never Fail Original Mechanical Pencil Eyeliner with Built-in Sharpener, Black
- Mechanical pencil eyeliner with built in sharpener is formulated to glide on easily and stay put for up to 16hrs.
- long-lasting and fade-proof color.
- Glides on to create classic to bold eye designs to compliment any mood or occasion.
- Available with a self sharpening tip & a smudge resistant, waterproof formula.
- This mechanical eye pencil delivers control and definition from natural lines to your boldest looks.
- Waterproof liquid eyeliner
- Its ultra-precise tip is flexible and easy to use.
- Easy to reapply and fresh
- Liquid eyeliner goes on smooth to deliver intensely pigmented liquid color and sharp, defined lines that complement any eye look.
- Uniquely designed felt-tip applicator allows you to create delicately thin or dramatically bold lines with precision
- The smooth-flowing liquid formula glides onto lids with ease, while the felt-tip offers precise application for everyone from novices to pros.
- Easy to use and work well
- Suitable for all eye shapes
- iMethod stamp eyeliner comes with a cat flick stamp on one end and a fine liner on the other.
- The eye-liner stamps are well-inked and well pigmented which makes filling precisely and easily.
- It makes achieving the perfect cat eye for anyone including with hooded eyes.
- Each set contains 2 wing eyeliner, one for your left eye and the other for your right.
- Easy to apply LIQUID EYE LIE NER in matte black Punk
- Its flexible felt tip with a superfine point makes adding delicate definition a cinch while adjusting pressure creates the signature Lady Gaga dramatic cat eye wing.
- Its quick dry formula glides on to any eye shape without tugging or smudging, depositing a black as night hue that lasts through a performance and encore.
- 24 hour longwear
- No Feathering, Skipping, Tugging, Flaking
- Flake Proof
- It delivers smudge-proof, long-lasting wings, guaranteed.
- There’s no need to worry about getting caught in the rain or pushed into a pool-your wings are 100% waterproof.
- Each box comes with 2 pens, 1 for each eye.
- Each stamp was specifically designed to best suit each individual eye, giving your wings a perfect, consistent shape with each application.
- Each pen has an eyeliner pencil on the other end. You’ll always have an eyeliner pencil handy, and it’s one less thing for that crowded makeup bag.
- This amazing gel eyeliner kit come with 2 classic colors, black and brown.
- This gel can stay on for a whole day and easy to remove with makeup remover.
- Provide 2 small eye makeup brushes, one regular liner brush, one angle liner brush, they help you easily create different eyeliner, such as doing a good wing.
- Ophthalmologist, dermatologist, and allergy tested creamy gel formula.
- Specially designed to last up to 24 hours
- Highly concentrated pigments of the gel eyeliner intensify your eye makeup for a lasting impression.
- Gel pencil eyeliner available in 10 super-saturated shades ranging from Smooth Charcoal to Lustrous Saphire.
- 12 smudge-proof geliner (eyeliner gel) with trendy colors
- Superfine quality ingredients from Luxembourg and Paris
- Variety of colors to suit every style, occasion and time
- Long-lasting gel liner colors that stay on for 12 hours or more
- Intense color from highly concentrated pigments, waterproof
How to do winged eyeliner?
- Apply a thick line of your favorite liquid liner right above your lashes
- Extend a thin line from the corner of your eye.
- Connect another thin line to create a triangle.
- Fill the empty space and you have a perfect wing.
How to apply liquid eyeliner?
- Start with a clean base
- Once you have a clean canvas, apply an eyeshadow primer or concealer with your ring finger to cover up any veins or dark marks. This will also help your liner last longer.
- Start by drawing a dot in the middle of the lash line.
- Apply dots to the inner corner and tail
- Connect the dots
- After filling in any patches, repeat the process on the other eye, If one (or both) of your lines came out too thick, take some of the liner away with a Q-tip dipped in an oil-based makeup remover. Gently wipe off the excess for a flawless, crisp edge.
How to apply pencil eyeliner?
- Clean & prime your eyes. If you have oily lids apply some loose powder as this will make the eyeliner stay longer on the lids.
- Start drawing a line from the middle of the lid along the upper lash line to the outer corner. If you don’t get a line properly along the lash line, don’t worry, as you can always fill in the gap afterwards. Tracing a proper line is important.
- Again from the middle of the lid trace a line to the inner corner along the lash line. Make sure that you trace a thin line.
- Once you have finished doing this, fill in the gap between the traced line and the lash line by moving the eye liner pencil in light strokes. It is ok if you get a thick line for the first time. After practicing a few times, you will get used to it and be able to create lines the way you want.
- From the outer corner along the lower lash line draw a line towards the inner corner. Start drawing from the point where the line on the outer corner of the upper lash line ends.
How to keep eyeliner from smudging?
- Wash your face to remove excess oils from around your eyes.
- Apply a makeup primer to your lids to set a foundation for the liner.
- Brush skin-colored powder or eyeshadow over the makeup primer.
- Curl your eyelashes before applying any eyeliner.
- Use a long-lasting eyeliner to reduce the likelihood of it smudging over time.
- Reduce the risk of runny eyes by keeping liner away from your waterline.
- Apply the liner with gentle movements so you don’t irritate your eyes.
- Make a barrier out of primer and powder to keep eyeliner in place.
- Top your eyeliner with a matching eyeshadow to set the liner in place.
- Opt for waterproof mascara to provide a barrier for your eyeliner.
- Use a setting spray to increase the wear-time for your eyeliner.
- Avoid moisture, sweating, and heat to prolong your eyeliner’s life.
- Keep your hands away from your eyes to protect your eyeliner.
How to remove eyeliner?
- Choose a makeup remover that works with the type of eyeliner you are wearing.
- Saturate a flat, cotton pad with the product.
- Press the pad against your eye for 20 seconds.
- Wipe off the eyeliner with downward strokes.
- Choose a facial wipe that is alcohol- and fragrance-free.
- Use the edge of the wipe to wipe along the base of your eyelashes.
- Rinse and wash your face with your usual cleanser
Use petroleum jelly
- Scoop a small amount of petroleum jelly onto a cotton swab.
- Run the swab along the base of your eyelashes.
- Wash your face with a gentle cleanser when you’ve removed the eyeliner.
Using natural oil
- Use coconut oil, olive oil, or jojoba oil to break down the eyeliner.
- Use your fingertips to massage the oil gently over closed eyelids.
- Wait ten seconds, then use a cotton pad to wipe the oil off with downward strokes
- Rinse to remove traces of oil and eyeliner.
What color eyeliner for blue eyes?
A dark brown or navy blue liner is a beautiful enhancement to a blue eye.
What color eyeliner for brown eyes?
From purples to bronzes, to greens, to blues – the world is your oyster! Try making your brown eyes look lighter by using green eyeliner. Using Emerald Mystikol Powdered Eyeliner, draw a line on your top lash line, smudge using Forest PurePressed Eye Shadow.
What color eyeliner for green/ hazel eyes?
Try reddish, bronze, rust, and mahogany eye shadows. To bring out the green hues in your eyes try applying an eggplant eyeliner, like our Amethyst Mystikol. For an added pop of color, layer Iris PurePressed Eye Shadow over your eyeliner and smudge.
How to do cat-eye eyeliner?
- Apply neutral or light eyeshadow from your lash line up to your crease.
- Angle a brush from your nose to your outer brow to find your endpoint.
- Use eyeliner to make a dot just above your crease to mark the tip of your wing.
- Draw a line connecting the dot to the outer corner of your eye
- Draw a line connecting the dot to the middle of your upper lash line.
- Fill in the outline you have made, if necessary
- Clean up any mistakes with a pointed cotton swab
- Draw a line to connect the inner corner of your eye with your cat-eye.
- Thicken the line as it gets closer toward the outer corner of your eye.
- Finish with mascara.
How to apply gel eyeliner?
- Before you begin anything, the first step is to properly clean your eyes, so that it does not have any dirt or leftover makeup.
- Once you have cleaned your eyes thoroughly, dip the gel liner brush into the pot, and coat both sides of the brush with the gel.
- Now dab the brush gently on the edge of the pot to form a pointed brush. It is advisable to use a flat, angular liner with gel eyeliners.
- Begin by lining in the middle of the lash line and move to the outside corner of the eye. Now gently lift the lid to tight-line the lash line. Do this only if your gel eyeliner is waterline safe.
- Next, apply the liner all the way to the inner corner of the eye. Try to keep the line thick on the outer corner and thin on the inner corner. Alternatively, you can also follow the natural shape of your eye.
- Always line the whole way across the eyelid as this will help to open up your eye and make it look bigger.
- Now repeat the entire process with the other eye. Try not to leave any space between the eyeliner and the lash line.
How to make eyeliner?
Using Activated Charcoal
Buy some activated charcoal. Activated charcoal is available at drug stores and natural health stores. It’s commonly used as a remedy for indigestion, so it usually comes in the form of capsules. This pure black, all-natural substance is perfect for creating homemade eyeliner.
Break a few capsules into a small container. You can use an old eye shadow or lip balm pot, a tiny tin, or any other container you have on hand. Break the activated charcoal capsules into the container.
Dip your eyeliner brush into the charcoal. You can use plain activated charcoal as eyeliner without mixing it with anything else. The charcoal will naturally mix with the oil on your skin to stay in place once you apply it. Dip your eyeliner brush into the container and apply eyeliner in your favorite style.
Experiment with different textures. If you like your eyeliner to have more of a paste or gel consistency, you can mix the activated charcoal with water or oil to make it a little damp. Start with just one or two drops, and keep mixing more in until your eyeliner reaches the consistency you want. Try mixing in one of the following ingredients:
- Jojoba oil
- Almond oil
- Coconut oil
- Aloe vera gel
Using an Almond
Gather supplies. This method is a great alternative if you don’t have activated charcoal on hand. The soot from a burned almond creates a rich, black liner that looks just as good as store-bought liner. All you need are a few household supplies:
- A raw almond that has not been roasted or salted
- A pair of tweezers
- A lighter
- A small container or dish
- Butter knife
Hold the almond in the tweezers and burn it. Use the tweezers to hold the almond steady (and protect your fingers from getting burned) and hold the lighter up to the almond. The almond will slowly burn and smoke. Keep going until about half of the almond has turned to soot. It should be black and smoky.
- If the tweezers you’re using are all-metal, they may heat up and burn you if you use the lighter for too much time. Put on a glove to protect your hand.
- Try rotating the almond in a circle so it burns evenly on all sides.
Scrape the soot into the dish. All that nice black soot is what you need to create eyeliner. Use a butter knife to scrape it off the almond and into the dish. If you need more soot, keep burning the almond or start on another so you collect a good heap of it in the dish.
- As you scrape, make sure not to scrape off chunks of unburned almond. You want the soot to have a fine, dusty texture, with no big pieces.
- Examine the soot afterward and pick out any larger chunks.
Dip your eyeliner brush into the almond soot. You can use plain soot as eyeliner without mixing it with anything else. It will naturally mix with the oil on your skin to stay in place once you apply it. Dip your eyeliner brush into the container and apply eyeliner in your favorite style.
Experiment with different textures. If you like your eyeliner to have more of a paste or gel consistency, you can mix the soot with water or oil to make it a little damp. Start with just one or two drops, and keep mixing more in until your eyeliner reaches the consistency you want. Try mixing in one of the following ingredients:
- Jojoba oil
- Almond oil
- Coconut oil
Creating Different Colors
Use cocoa to make brown eyeliner. Unsweetened cocoa powder makes a beautifully rich, dark brown eyeliner. Spoon a little into a small container. Mix the cocoa with a few drops of water, jojoba oil or almond oil until it has a gel-like consistency, then apply it with your eyeliner brush.
Try spirulina powder to make green eyeliner. Spirulina powder is made from dried and ground algae, so it has a beautiful dark green hue. Pour some spirulina powder into a dish, then apply plain or mix it with water or oil to create a gel effect.
Use beetroot powder for reddish hues. While you might not want to wear bright red eyeliner, adding beetroot powder to activated charcoal or cocoa will create a pretty reddish hue that looks great with warmer skin tones. Beetroot powder is available at most health food stores.
Buy mica powder to make colorful eyeliner. Mica powder comes in every color of the rainbow. It’s a product used in all types of makeup, from eye shadow to lipstick. Do an online search for mica powder to find the color you like best. Use the powder the same way you’d use activated charcoal: mix it with water, aloe, or oil to create a gel you can instantly apply.
Convert old eye shadows into any color liner. Any eyeshadow can be converted into eyeliner. Take one of your old, cracked eyeshadows and dump it into a small container. Use a knife to break it up until it turns into a fine powder. Mix in a little water, aloe, or oil to create a gel, then apply the product with an eyeliner brush.
How to use white eyeliner to make the eyes bigger?
Before you start to use white eyeliner, it’s important to point out that it’s important to test the brand you are going to purchase beforehand, so you can check the density of the color and the thickness of the tip so you get the desired effect.
Once you have applied your foundation and sharpened your white eyeliner, it’s time to show you how to use white eyeliner to make eyes bigger.
To boost the effect of bigger eyes a trick is to put on some mascara on your lower lashes (as well as the top lashes) to cover up excess eyeliner. Adding mascara to the lower lashes will further make them seem bigger. Put a paper under your lashes to avoid the mascara from smudging on the skin.
If you also want to apply white eyeliner to your top lid to make your eyes pop, even more, apply it gently and diffuse so there is not a clear line. Apply a thin topcoat of liquid eyeliner to get a beautiful cat-eye look that will boost the presence of your eyes. Apply some black eyeliner to the outer part of your lower lash but don’t go the whole way, just halfway.
For a finishing touch, there are also some tricks that will also enlarge your eyes and make them look bigger.
- A smoky eye look will also make your eyes look bigger, just make sure you use a lighter tone on the inner top eyelid and carefully blur and blend a darker color on the outside.
- Apply some illuminator below your eyes to focus the attention on this area.
- If you want a more casual look, go for simple white eyeliner as explained in step 2 and use dark lipstick. The contrast will be amazing and will also make your eyes pop.
How long does permanent eyeliner last?
Eyeliner procedure lasts about 18 months. Permanent make up is “semi” and client results will vary. Commonly you will need a touchup at 1-2 years. Generally the results are amazing but it very much depends on your own skin type, texture and oiliness. After care must be taken seriously.
How to apply eyeliner on the lower lid?
Draw Thin Lines
Sometimes when you draw thick lines then it can give an impression of dark circles. So, just draw thin lines and close to your lower eyelid. This will ensure that you get the perfect liner look on your lower eyelid and will also prevent getting raccoon eyes.
The lower lid is extremely thin and delicate. Thus, you should not layer up the area with too many products. This will create unnecessary product build up. Thus, use light liquid consistency or serum like products. This will make it easy for any makeup to glide on it.
Do you know that your kajal tip has maximum bacteria and fungus? Thus, keep sharpening it regularly. This will ensure that there is no bacteria or fungus build-up and thus your eyeliner application will also be much more smooth and the finish will be top-notch.
Sequencing is very important in case of eye makeup. You should complete your eyeshadow and highlighter work. And then do the eyeliner. This way your eyeliner will show up more and will not clash against the eyeshadow.
Your lower eyelid should always be softer when compared to the upper eyelid. This is because if you apply upper and lower eyelids both in black or dark colors then your eyes will look much smaller and will also appear closed. Thus, make sure that the eyeshadow complements your lower lid.
Avoid The Inner Corner Of Eyes
The inner corner of your eyes should be completely avoided. This is because if you line the inner corner then your eyes will look much more closed and will appear smaller.
Precision Is A Must
Try to ensure the correct amount of precision when you are drawing eyeliner on the lower eyelid. Also, try to outline the outer area rather than the inner area as that will create a closed look of the eyes.
You should remember that while blending your lower eyelid, you should not go too low. Otherwise, it will create a tired and dark circle look. It will also look quite ashy on your face
Gel liners are the best eye product for your lower eyelids. They ensure a precise look and line which looks great on the lower lid. It stays smudge-free for a long time and will give you the perfect fresh and sexy look.